Thursday, April 11, 2013

Covered Canvas Tutorial


I came across an idea from Rachel at Always a Project that I instantly LOVED. She took canvases, covered them with book pages, then placed a fabric shape over the top of it to create a beautiful and unique wall decoration for her sewing room. Every time I look at her covered canvases, I am in awe at how fabulous they turned out.

So I decided to give it a try, with my own spin on it.

First, I gathered up some supplies:

8x10 art canvas
Old copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
X-Acto knife
Ruler
Fabric
Mod Podge
Cardstock

Step 1 - Cut pages out of the book. Depending on how you'd like the result to look, you can either tear them for a jagged edge, or use the X-Acto and ruler to make a clean, straight cut. I went with a straight cut on mine, but I'd like to try a jagged look next time around.


Step 2 - Attach pages to canvas using a thin layer of Mod Podge. You can do all the pages the same direction or alternate them. I alternated mine.


Step 3 - Transfer your shape to back of fabric. For this first try, I went with a simple lightning bolt. I like how Rachel's looks better with the larger shapes that cover the majority of the canvas. Decide how large you want your shape, print it, then trace it onto the back of your fabric and cut it out.


TIP: Smaller shapes will fall apart. Reinforce your fabric with interfacing or by attaching it to card stock before cutting (see the next step).


Step 4 - I also wanted words from the page cut out of fabric on my canvas. So I chose my quote, laid it out in Illustrator, reflected it, and printed it on card stock. I used Mod Podge to attach my fabric to the opposite side of the card stock, then used the X-Acto to cut around the letters. You'll be cutting out backward letters, but when you turn them over, you'll have fabulous fabric letters that won't fall apart!




Step 5 - Then use more Mod Podge to attach all your fabric shapes to the canvas. Seal your book pages with more Mod Podge in an even coat over the top and edges. And you're done!


For a first try, mine turned out fine, but there are several things I would change. Because I'm sure you're dying to know, here they are:
  • Make the fabric shape larger.
  • Trim white edges off book pages for a more solid text look.
  • Plan out fabric placement on canvas better (because I ended up with extra space at the bottom)
(Linked at Seven Alive)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are swell!