Monday, July 29, 2013

DIY T-Shirt Applique

My son will start kindergarten in less than a month! That means I have 4 weeks to get caught up with all my good intentions. I intended to teach him to tie shoes, but instead we got velcro ones. I intended to teach him to tell time, but haven't gotten around to it yet! We have worked on upper & lower case letters, as well as following instructions. I never realized how complicated a color-by-number could be for someone who is not used to following instructions no matter what!

Anyway, one thing that I have wanted to do for a while is embellish some solid color tees for him. I took him school shopping and let him choose a few shirts he liked, but then I also picked up some solid color tees for projects.

This is the first time I have done appliqué and it was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be! I sort-of followed the tutorial found on Sew Mama Sew to appliqué woven fabric onto a knit shirt. It turned out great!


My biggest mistake was cutting out my dinosaurs before ironing it to the fusible web. Don't do it that way unless you want to scrape web off of your ironing board afterward. Iron the fusible web onto the back of the fabric, then cut the shapes out! This way, you can do the fusing without fusing it to your ironing board, and the shapes will be easier to cut without any fraying.

After fusing the shapes to the shirt, I stitched around each shape. I made sure to stitch around the outside of each shape so it wouldn't peel off, then did a few of the details that weren't too small.


Here's my handsome boy modeling the finished product! Despite his protests that dinosaurs are not cool, he still ended up liking it by the time it was finished.

{Linked on Piggy in Polka Dots, I Should Be Mopping, This Gal Cooks, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, All Things Fee, Uncommon Designs, Serendipity & Spice, Craft & Repeat, Be Colorful, Ninth Street Notions, DIY Home Sweet Home, Keeping It Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, Carrie This Home, Endlessly Inspired}

1 comment :

  1. So cute. The tee shirt too. :D Great post and easy to understand tutorial. Thanks for sharing on BeColorful.
    p

    ReplyDelete

Comments are swell!