Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Patchwork Skirts

My two-year old daughter, Violet, recently decided that she is a pirate princess (thanks to Jake and the Neverland Pirates). This created a bit of a problem at our house because she only owned one skirt that is not a dress. Several days each week, she refuses to wear pants, but says "No! I want my pirate princess!" So I decided to make a few skirts for her.

For the first one, I used the Zig Zag skirt tutorial from Moda Bake Shop. Since my skirt needed to fit a thin two-year old, I had to modify the measurements. I also didn't want to buy pre-cut fabric since it's more expensive and there's a smaller selection. So I made it up as I went.


I bought my yardage, then cut my squares into my own charm pack. Then I pieced them together as instructed until my skirt looked big enough to fit around my daughter with a little fullness. I followed the rest of the tutorial as written. Here is how it turned out:



I really wanted some different colored skirts for her, so I found some great remnants at Hobby Lobby. This time, I decided to modify the pattern to use squares and rectangles. The concept is basically the same as the zig-zag skirt. Piece your shapes together until it is the right size, then add the waistband and hemline. Instead of simply hemming this one, I added a ruffle around the bottom. Here is how it turned out:

Featuring the pirate princess herself and her magical rainbow wand.
This method is really simple and turns out very cute, so I plan to make at least one more of these skirts for Violet. I just need to restock my elastic supply first.

{Linked on Ashley's Dandelion Wishes, Fluster Buster, Someday Crafts, Daisy Cottage Designs, We Like to Learn as We Go, DIY Crafty Projects, Gingersnap Crafts, Handy Man Crafty Woman, Trendy Treehouse, 52 Mantels, Eclectic Red Barn, Sew Can Do}

4 comments :

  1. Very cute and you have a great model! Thanks for sharing it at Fluster's Creative Muster. Now that you found our party I hope that you'll be joining us again.

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin! She is a great model when I can catch her smiling. I'll definitely be linking up at your party again!

      Delete
  2. Just another reason I wish I had a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or you can make one for you! I imagine on an adult, it might give you a gypsy-ish look... that's what you're going for, right?

      Delete

Comments are swell!