Thursday, July 11, 2013

Thinking Thursday -or- Board Books That Adults Can Enjoy Too

Let's face it: board books are not known for being particularly profound. And it's true, some of them are pretty lame. But when I happen upon a board book that I love, I consider it a fantastic discovery. Because if I'm bored reading books to my kid, they're not going to love the books either... right? That is why I have put together this post of my favorite board books that adults will enjoy, too.


Hamsters Holding Hands by Kass Reich

This simple counting book is made more fun with silly hamsters and nicely rhyming text. My 5-year old got a kick out of this book.

The Swing by Robert Louis Stevenson

A beautiful poem, beautifully illustrated.

Happy Hippo, Angry Duck by Sandra Boynton

I love all the Boynton books I have read so far. This one, subtitled "A book of moods," is a great read for kids who are learning to name their feelings.

Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann

My son loved this book so much as a toddler that our copy is held together with tape. I love that the story is told in pictures.

Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton

Another of my favorite Boynton books, this one cracked us all up. It's a simple color book, made more fun by a crazy turkey who can't get anything right.

Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw

We received this as a baby shower gift before my oldest was born and after five years, I still love it. There are several other "Sheep" books by Nancy Shaw and they are all equally fun.

Llama Llama Wakey-Wake by Anna Dewdney

I love rhyming books, so I really enjoy the Llama Llama books by Anna Dewdney. This one is a simple story about Llama's morning routine and could be great for kids who are about to start preschool or kindergarten so they can learn about routines.

Love is You & Me by Monica Sheehan

I probably enjoyed this book more than my son did, but it is very sweet and teaches about love.

The Napping House by Audrey Wood

We first encountered this book during a "story walk" at our local library. There is a picture book version as well as the board book version. The illustrations are wonderful in this book.

The Goodnight Train by June Sobel

A fun, rhyming story about the goodnight train's trip to dreamland. The illustrations are lovely and give you a lot to talk about in addition to the story.

What are your favorite board books?

{Linked on Happy and Blessed Home, Truly Lovely, Tatertots & Jello, The Thriftiness Miss, Wait Til Your Father Gets Home}

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are swell!